Week 5 discussion -- Next generation search engine?
First, week 5 materials are available on Blackboard server now.
I use Google a lot. Actually I almost no longer type Web address in the address bar of my Web browser now. I am using the search engine as the answer engine to any question pop up in my head. Google perhaps is the best search engine we can get so far, even though it is not perfect and being criticized a lot. There are many companies want to dethrone Google and be the next Google. This MIT technology review article introduces several interesting new search engines that might be able to replace Google. Yesterday, Amazon officially debut a new search engine A9 that can remember your search history.
What do you think the next generation search engine should be? To me, the google algorithm is good enough. After several tweaks, I can always locate the information I want. But my ideal search engine should be very personalized based on my search history. For example, my search for "computer' should give me more research oriented results given my academic background and the previous search I did. Also, I would like to have a search engine can go "deep" into the Web to search the "invisible" part of it.
What do you think?
I use Google a lot. Actually I almost no longer type Web address in the address bar of my Web browser now. I am using the search engine as the answer engine to any question pop up in my head. Google perhaps is the best search engine we can get so far, even though it is not perfect and being criticized a lot. There are many companies want to dethrone Google and be the next Google. This MIT technology review article introduces several interesting new search engines that might be able to replace Google. Yesterday, Amazon officially debut a new search engine A9 that can remember your search history.
What do you think the next generation search engine should be? To me, the google algorithm is good enough. After several tweaks, I can always locate the information I want. But my ideal search engine should be very personalized based on my search history. For example, my search for "computer' should give me more research oriented results given my academic background and the previous search I did. Also, I would like to have a search engine can go "deep" into the Web to search the "invisible" part of it.
What do you think?

1 Comments:
This is an article from New York post about which next step Google will take. Fun reading.
Post a Comment
<< Home